Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thrifty Thursday: Ways to Save for Disney

Thrifty Thursday
Ways to Save for Disney

I've got another Way to Save for ya this week! If you've missed the others so far you can find them all here. Most of you will be familiar with this one, or at least most aspects of it. I do have my own little twist on one way to get these little beauties though...

Use Disney Gift Cards



Gift cards are an excellent way to save for Disney, and you can get them for just about anything!
  • Don't really have any big wants or needs this year for your birthday (Mother's/Father's/Grandparent's Day, Anniversary, Christmas... you get the gist)?? Ask for a Disney gift card!
  • House-sit for someone who wants to give you a little thank you? Mention Disney!
  • Give your children gift cards in place of their allowance or "treats" for special tasks or achievements as the trip gets closer.
  • My work gives out gift cards for certain crowning achievements, does yours or maybe another group you belong to?... If you're comfortable with it, and you know you're due for one, ask them to make yours a Disney GC. (For example, we have a walking program at my work. When a person reaches 2.5 Million steps, according to their pedometers, they get a $50 gift card. As my milestone approaches, I'll ask that mine be a Disney GC!)
  • Enter to win them through all the fabulous blogs you follow. You often see contests and drawings for Disney gift cards in various denominations- take the time to enter!!
  • The list could go on and on!
As for my own little twist on a way to get these gift cards, I suggest getting them with refunds! Not sure what I mean? Well let me tell you... Say you get a cash refund at the Disney Store, or a place like Walmart, Kohl's, Kroger, or wherever else has the gift card centers carrying Disney gift cards- turn around and use that cash to purchase a gift card!! The money was already spent anyway! By turning that cash into a Disney gift card you've guaranteed that that money is now solely for Disney.

You can use the gift cards as payment on your vacation package, on purchasing tickets, on buying Disney goodies before your trip, as spending money while there, or for anything really! 

For what occasions do you get Disney gift cards? How do you use them?


This post carries a disclosure Level of 0. Please see my disclosure page for more details.

4 comments:

  1. Throughout the year our kids earn money for doing chores around the house. Then, when we are getting ready to leave for Disney, we count up how much they have earned and give them each their own gift card (with a few bonus dollars from us!) that is their's to use how they want on the trip. We used it last trip with just our oldest, but this trip plan to use it with all three. It's great because we count it together, so it is great practice counting money, but then we don't have to carry all that cash around the parks. By the way, love the tip about getting the cash back on a card! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I have an uncle who always gets me GC to old navy or best buy for Christmas and I always just get the kiddies more gifts but now I think I'll have to down a few hints about gc to Disney store ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea turning the cash into Disney Cards, I love it and I never thought about doing that. I use the D-cards as gifts and incentive for my kids..especially before a trip..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, that's an excellent way to teach a valuable lesson!

    Rebecca, good thinking!

    Diane, excellent strategy!

    ReplyDelete